19 Aug Filipino Recipes – Estofado Recipe (Beef) – Pinoy Food
Estofado is a special beef recipe that you cannot find during regular days because of the amount of preparation required. It is usually prepared during fiestas and special occasions like weddings, birthdays and reunions that are held during the summer months when school is out. Because the beef is cooked to a chewy tenderness, it is loved by both the kiddies and the oldies. Even if there are a lot of dishes set on the table during special occasions, you will surely find the estofado being the first to disappear because it is so delicious thus making it too hard to resist.
- 1 kilo boneless beef
- 2 cups Baguio beans (cut into convenient lengths)
- 2 small carrots (peeled and quartered)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 onions (chopped finely)
- ½ cup vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (pounded)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 small onions (peeled but whole)
- 1 tbsp flour
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rub the beef with flour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry in cooking oil until color turns brown then set aside.
- Using the remaining oil, sauté the garlic until it turns brown then add the onions and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Place the meat in a pan and cover with tomato mixture, bay leaf, vinegar and a small amount of water just enough to cover the meat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Add the 6 peeled whole onions, beans and carrots then allow to simmer.
- Take out from the pan when the vegetables are cooked. Arrange the beef in a serving platter and surround with the vegetables.
- Simmer down the sauce to desired quantity and thicken with flour. Pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables then serve.